Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lola's Day of Thanks



Hey Guys, Lola here.

I thought today would be a good day for me to discuss what Thanksgiving means to me.  Dislaimer: It's food.  If you want touchy-feely go elsewhere.

Thanksgiving is a day of food (and family and blah).  It doesn't matter which set of grandparents we travel to, both love me to the moon and back and are super generous.  My day of wonderfulness goes into action before I even arrive.  Let's look at the timeline, shall we.

Before I arrive: Grandparents go crazy cleaning for my arrival.  They dust, vacuum, and mop.  Here's a tip about hosting me as a house guest: You cannot clean your home to the level of cleanliness required for me to not find crumbs.  No matter what you do I will find some.  I will even wedge myself under appliances to reach the goodness of a crumb, stale or otherwise.  So, go ahead, break out the broom and mop and vacuum.  You will never win.

I arrive: I scope things out, kiss you hello and I'm off to the kitchen.  I find the crumbs left behind as stated in paragraph one.  We usually arrive the day before Thanksgiving and by this time you have already made cookies, snacks, pies, and cake.  They are all delicious and I will eat them crumb by crumb.

Thanksgiving Day: You labor all morning long to prepare the big meal.  I am your supportive sidekick.  I am here for you and you are doing a fabulous job.  You are also a little stressed and a little rushed.  Some things fall on the ground.  No problem.  I am here to help.  I eat all morning.  Then everyone gathers around the big table and I take my place to watch for careless eaters.  There are many.  I think some do it on purpose to annoy the Big Ones.  Haha, I'm happy to be part of the joke.  I eat and eat and eat.  Then after I help clean up the kitchen, I go and look for a cozy place to take my nap.

Days following Thanksgiving: No more food is cooked, but there is a ton of moving food from Tupperware to plates and into the microwave.  All actions that I love.  There is also more sneaking from the grandparents.  These are all delightful days to me.

I am always nice and full by the time we leave, which induces a food coma and I sleep the entire drive home.  That is what Thanksgiving means to me.  Plus, family and stuff.

Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment