Thursday, August 23, 2012

Neutrals - Part One: Basics

Let's get down to basics.  This is the first in a two (maybe 3?) part series.  I know I am very guilty of standing in my closet and yelling to my husband that I have absolutely nothing to wear.  Sometimes it's hard to put together an outfit.  I want something fun, some pairing that I've never worn before.  I want to look nice and polished.  It can be pretty frustrating.  My immediate thought is that I need to go shopping.  My rational thought is that I need re-vamp my wardrobe by using what I already have and discovering new pairings.  This part of the series will cover basics. 

So... what exactly are the basics?  I introduce to you: Basic Neutrals!

Black / Grey / Brown / Ivory / Navy / Khaki (or olive)

I want to say that everything can be matched with these colors - and for the most part that's true.  There are some things I would refrain from, such as black and yellow (bumblebee) and brown and orange (Halloween at its best).  Other than that, though and you have free reign.

As you can see in these next two illustrations, I can match these five tops with every pair of neutral colored pants.  Neutrals are like the base in the building blocks of a fabulous wardrobe.  See below. I wish I could make this interactive, but for now you can use your hand to cover everything besides one top and one pant.  Now do that with the same pant, but uncover each of the different tops.  Now try it with each pant.  See?  They all go together.


Top Row: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
Bottom Row: 1 / 2 / 3



Bottom Row: 1 / 2 / 3

So, if you have a neutral, chances are you can pair it with any color.  You don't have to keep the neutral on bottom, either.  Here's an example of a neutral top.

Top Row: 1
Bottom Row: 1 / 2 / 3

And that is Part 1 of Neutrals.  If you are trying to re-vamp your wardrobe, a good place to start is to go through your closet and pull out all of your neutrals, whether they be tops or bottoms.  Then pull out all of your non-neutrals.  Now start pairing neutrals with non-neutrals.  Of course you have to be mindful of shape and fit, so not everything is going to look all hunky dory together.  If you have a fitted top, try pairing it with a loose fitting bottom and vice versa.  I hope you discover a side to your wardrobe that you've never seen before.  I will leave you with a few of my favorite neutral/non-neutral pairings.

Top Row: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
Bottom Row: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Stay tuned for Part 2, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment